If you’re still using XP or Vista (and 55% of you are!) and you have more than one monitor, I bet you’re pretty tired of having to use your mouse to move application windows from monitor to monitor. Especially if you tend to keep your windows maximized. You have to click to shrink the window, then you have to draaaaaag it across your desktop, then you have to click again to re-maximize it. Not a big deal… unless you’re doing it over and over again. Then it’s just annoying. Wouldn’t it be easier just to press a couple keys instead?
If you’re using Windows 7, and you have more than one monitor I bet you’re pretty excited about the native keyboard shortcuts that move windows around your desktop. You can even drag a maximized window around without having to un-maximize it first! Pretty cool. But how often have you found that you need to move application 1 to monitor 2 AND application 2 to monitor 1? You know, just swap ‘em. Sure, it’s not that big of a deal to move one and then the other. But wouldn’t it be cool if there was a keyboard shortcut to do that in all in one shabang?
QuickShift is your answer. It enables you to keep your hands on your keyboard by setting fully-customizable global hotkeys that resize, relocate, and reposition application windows. Want to instantly swap the two top-most windows from the two most recently used monitors? No problem. Want to compare two documents side by side? Easy. These functions along with all the basics you’d expect—such as minimizing, maximizing, restoring, and moving to another monitor—are all here. Lightweight and minimalistic, without needless extras. Best of all, it’s totally FREE*!
So, what keyboard magic can this thing do?
- Move active window to next or previous monitor.**
- Toggle active window from maximized to normal state.**
- Minimize active window.**
- Move active window to next/previous monitor + toggle state.
- Minimize all except active window.**
- Swap last two windows from two most recently used monitors.
- Fill active window to top/bottom/left/right half of the current monitor.**
- Maximize active window across all monitors.
Version 2.0 (Beta)
- Nudge window in any direction with accelerating velocity.
- Specify which monitors are used for spanning. (Handy if you have more than 2 monitors.)
- Resize the window’s width or height.
- Move window to next quadrant of current monitor.
- Minimize all windows on current monitor.
- Center active window on current monitor.
- Shrink active window to preferred reading width + center. (Coming soon!)
- Toggle Aero Shake on/off. (Windows 7 only.) (Coming soon!)
- Submit bug reports directly from app window.
- (Most) native Windows shortcuts can be overridden. WinLogo + L and Ctrl + Alt + Del are two commands that cannot be overridden.
- Improved application response time.
Pick Yer Poison
Note: Version 2.0 will not currently work on XP – Fix will be posted soon. Sorry!
* QuickShift will remain free until version 2.0 has been downloaded 1,000 times.
** This function is already included with Windows 7.
Click here for QuickShift version history.